Thursday 31 July 2014

Disobedient Objects & Wedding Dresses @ The V&A


Working so close to the Victoria & Albert Museum meant that I could see their two current temporary exhibitions on my lunch break, so I did just that. I found "Disobedient Objects" really interesting as it was concerned with different movements and how people expressed their protests using objects and props. For example there were picket signs, barrage blocks and costumes, among many other things. Two exhibits I found most intriguing; the first being the "Guerilla Girls" who highlighted how females are represented in the art world. After receiving a speech in my second year of uni from my studio tutor proclaiming how female artists have hardly any chance of making it despite being in majority interest (preaching to a room of females and one male), it felt good to see this movement shown in a widely viewed institution.  The second was the "Barbie Liberation Organization" (pictured above), who switched the voices of Barbie and Action Man dolls so that they had the opposite when children took them out of their packet; a step away from the gender norms, so that Action Man said phrases like "I wanna go shopping" and vice versa. 


Unfortunately, I couldn't take many photos in the Wedding Dresses exhibition, but there were some beautiful pieces on show. One of my favourites was Gwen Stefani's wedding dress from her wedding to Gavin Rossdale, with the pink ombre train. 

No comments:

Post a Comment