Thursday 24 July 2014

Matisse & Malevich @ the Tate

Matisse's "Cut Outs" & Malevich: "Revolutionary of Russian Art"

My new job has given me the major advantage of being able to view a large number of temporary exhibitions that would usually be paid for, for free! Thus, I took advantage and spent an afternoon wandering around one of my favourite places in London; the Tate Modern gallery. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed by these exhibitions. Usually the Tate has one traditional artist and one contemporary artist that uses mixed media, but the content of these were both predominantly concerned with shape and colour; something that doesn't really interest me in a piece of art. Both exhibitions also had a similar curatorial style; very much a "White-Cube-esque" way of presenting pieces with pieces hung on white walls, which isn't very interactive or exciting (in my opinion). Aesthetically, I did enjoy some of the larger scale pieces in the Matisse exhibition, and I thought that the collages had a bigger impact on the viewer when lots were placed together on a wall. In the Malevich exhibition, my favourite room was the futurism one (pictured above). 

Despite the exhibitions not being to my taste, I had a good time anyway, as I always love the atmosphere at the Tate. I ended up spending an extortionate £16 on a book in the gift shop (which I will review at a later date), in the hope that it would assist me on my own art practice and get me a good degree mark (pleeeaaase?!?!) next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment